Monday, April 15, 2013

The Wonder in the World : Romans 1:20

Today I went for a walk with my son. We dorned ourselves with light jackets appropriate for a spring morning in Washington.  The day greeted us with the scent of freshly cut grass and newly spread bark that the early morning rain enhanced like a fine wine does chocolate. The sun was tucked behind the clouds but still offered us some warmth and the birds were well into their daily chorus offering us a beautiful melody to stroll to. I love this time with Shane.

At fourteen months my son has just mastered walking. He has a certain gusto to his stride with a lingering instability. Shane enjoys getting outdoors to work on his new found skill and I equally enjoy watching him walk with pride towards anything that is in eyesight. To Shane, walks are adventures. He reminds me of Indiana Jones taking in the wonder of a lost temple or artifact. Everything is new and glorious to Shane and he now has the freedom and ability to walk right up to what he sees and touch it, pick it up, smell it.

We ventured into the front yard which is small but well stocked with annuals, perennials, evergreens, and green grass. Shane took a moment to feel the grass with his hands then plucked a piece from the earth to show me, quizzically looking at me to discover the name of this smooth, jade, sweet smelling find. "Grass" I told him with a smile. He was delighted at this new connection. Grass. We moved on.

Directly next to our home is what we call the duck pond. In reality is is a retention pond that is not nearly tended to as often as it should be which delights us because it is the lush green home to a host of ducks, frogs, and bugs. There is an unsightly fence around the pond but we can see past it into our own little garden of Eden. It is beautiful. Today, Shane strolled up to the fence, hooked his tiny fingers onto the steel lattice, and joyfully smiled as he took in the sights. There were 27 ducks in the pond of which 13 where ducklings. Blackberry bramble twirled round a small dwarf pine and cattail emerged from the far end of the pond. Adding base to the birds melody were the frogs that populated the area like the plague in Egypt. Shane was in awe. There was so much to see, smell, hear, and touch. He would even taste it all if it were not for me standing there telling him not to put everything in his mouth.

On our way back to the house we stop to examine a tulip that had just bloomed. I have been teaching Shane how to be gentle  and he tenderly demonstrated gentless as he caressed the snow white petal with his pointer finger. He leaned in and rubbed his cheek against the flower feeling the fresh silk like texture of the new bud. "Flower" I told him. "This is another flower." Shane smiled at me in accknoledment and then we headed home.

Some of the magic of toddler hood, to me, is the the wonder the world takes on when a baby is no longer an infant but not yet a child. To my son the world is a wonderful wonderful place to explore. Everything captivates his attention for a moment and then he is on to the next thing not only due to a developmentally appropriate short attention span but because there are endless creations to expore. There are a million trees to marvel at, a thousand flowers to touch, to smell, to observe. To my son nothing is simple and nothing should be overlooked. Everything is wonderful.

I pray that I can see the world through my sons eyes during these wonderful years of toddler hood because he sees what I overlook.  For years I have neglected to see God's artistic hand in nature. I have not noticed the details He placed in each blade of grass, the unique color to each tulip, the beautiful songs of birds, frogs, and crickets. I have forgotten to notice the wonder of the world but this sweet son of mine is daily reminding me to see God's handy work. All I need to do is step outside and look.

Scripture to ponder: Romans 1:20  For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment